Sunday, February 22, 2015

Nothing like a last minute trip to Washington Oaks State Park!

     Sitting on the couch around 2 ish this afternoon looking at my kids parked in front of the T.V. , made me make a spur of the moment decision to get moving!  Come on people, it is a beautiful 80 degree, sun so bright I gotta wear shades, Sunday afternoon kinda day.  By 3:00 I had them loaded after a few attempts to dismiss me and my crazy, fly by the seat of my pants plan to visit, yes, you guessed it, another state park!  And yes, I had to bribe them with dinner.
       So, I had heard a lot of good things about Washington Oaks State Park.  It took me about an hour to get there.  We got lost but found A1A and took a scenic route.  Which was very nice.  I enjoyed the ride with the ocean on my right side and it kept the kids busy for a while.
        Washington Oaks is on the Matanzas River side of A1A AND on the beach side.  Word to those with small kids who love the beach, DO NOT tell your kids about the beach until you have had a chance to explore the river side.  The river side has beautiful gardens and paths and nature trails, which I was barely able to see because they could not wait to get to the beach.  We did find a bench on the river where I was able to sit and enjoy the views while they played on the rocks at the edge of the water.
         I was able to convince them to walk the path around the gardens to get back to the car.  So much beauty.  I could have wondered around the tree shaded paths, under the majestic oaks for hours, snapping pictures.  The formal rose gardens were not in bloom at this time, but I look forward to seeing them later in the year.  The azaleas were pretty much gone, but a few still lingered along with some roses of which I am not sure of the name, but they were gorgeous.  Lots of little ponds with huge fish and a gazebo, which was nice.
         I will revisit this part of the park in the future, it had so much to offer.
         We headed over to the beach side and oh boy! now, that is a paradise for kids who love to climb, jump, explore and find shells.  The coquina rocks!  So cool.  So much to explore.  There were little caves you could crawl in and pop up in various spots, like the game with the mole you have to pop on the head.  We found some star fish and tons of shells.   I would definitely recommend water shoes to help with all the climbing.  Some of the rocks were covered in green slime which made it very slippery.  Probably not the best place for little ones unsteady on their feet.  But my kids LOVED it.  They all gave it a two thumbs up and want to go back soon.. probably when it warms up a little.
           A few side notes.  There was a restroom on the river side back by the river, but everywhere else was good ol porta potties... which thankfully, it was a good day and no one had to use.  I know on the river side they had picnic areas etc...there were no picnic facilities on the beach side and no life guard.  There was a $5.00 car load fee to get into the park.
           I definitely give this park a two thumbs up myself.  Loved it and look forward to returning soon! 














    

No comments:

Post a Comment